SARAJEVO, March 25 (FENA) – The Appeals Chamber of the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina upheld the Serb ex-fighter Radomir Šušnjar’s 20-year sentence for his involvement in killing 26 Bosniak civilians, including a baby, in a house that he helped to set on fire in Višegrad in 1992.
The Appeals Chamber of the Bosnian State Court has upheld the verdict convicting Radomir Šušnjar of involvement in wartime crimes in the Višegrad area in June 1992, including the murder of 26 civilians – one of them a two-day-old baby – who were locked inside a house that was then burned.
Šušnjar has been sentenced to 20 years, his lawyer Dejan Bogdanović confirmed to BIRN. “The defense’s appeal has been rejected and the first-instance verdict confirmed,” Bogdanović said.
The first-instance verdict in October last year found that Šušnjar, accompanied by fellow Bosnian Serb fighters Milan and Sredoje Lukić, attacked, inhumanely treated and robbed Bosniak civilians from the village of Koritnik who had been previously brought to a house in Pionirska Street in Višegrad on or around June 14, 1992.
Šušnjar, who was armed with a knife while Milan and Sredoje Lukić had automatic rifles, searched the civilians in a brutal and humiliating manner, ordering them to take their clothes off, the verdict said.
According to the verdict, after the civilians had been searched, they were ordered to go out and walk to another house in Pionirska Street around 30 meters away.
Milan Lukić then threw an explosive device into the house, causing a fire, and Šušnjar threw in a grenade. As this all was taking place, all three Serb fighters were shooting simultaneously, preventing the civilians from escaping.
The attack resulted in the deaths of 26 civilians, including a two-day-old baby. Five civilians managed to flee and save themselves.